We find different battery options in different digital cameras and we need to select the best one for us. Currently in market we have digital cameras with AA batteries or Lithium-ion Batteries. We sometimes feel it difficult to compare this feature between two cameras that are alike.
Advantages of Lithium-ion & Disadvantages of AA NiMH rechargeable batteries:
1. Lithium-ion batteries have higher energy density than AA NiMh rechargeable batteries.
2. They also operate at higher voltages than NiMH rechargeable batteries.
3. Lithium-ion batteries have a lower self discharge rate than NiMH rechargeable batteries means that they will retain their charge for a longer time than of the NiMH rechargeable batteries. (If NiMH batteries are not installed in a digital camera they will lose their discharge slowly however Lithium-ion batteries will retain most of their charge even after months of storage)
Advantages of AA NiMH rechargeable batteries & Disadvantages of Lithium-ion:
1.NiMH Rechargeable batteries are very cheaper as compared to Lithium-ion batteries that are are more expensive
2. NiMH rechargeable batteries are available in standard sizes like AA, C & D where as Lithium ion batteries are not available in standard cells sizes.
3. NiMH batteries and chargers are readily and widely available in all nearby places & can easily be purchased without any confusion where as Lithium-ion batteries chargers are available in different shapes and sizes & every Li-ion battery charger can be the different one that should accommodate battery size. (This lithium ion battery charger is more expensive and not easily available / difficult to find than NiMH rechargeable batteries.)
* AA batteries are recommended for the people who travels alot as the NiMH rechargeable batteries does not run out of power soon and you can use it for longer time.
* A batteries operated cameras are usually less expensive than the one with built in Lithium-ion operators.
* Lithium-Ion Batteries are smaller & lighter, have a higher voltage however it is expensive & its charger and other similar battery is expensive too and difficult to find as well.
* If you need to select between these two options then you can select either one of them according to your ease. If you can pay extra money for an extra Lithium-ion battery + charger then you can have it as it’s a new technology that will improve in near future however if you want something easy to use, readily available everywhere and cheap then you can go for AA NiMH rechargeable batteries there is no harm in taking them as well.