Both cameras offers some very competitive features with some better than the others. Depending upon your need if you select Canon Powershot SX40 HS you will get better zoom, aperture, LCD movement, macro capability and option of using external flash whereas Sony cybershot DSC-HX200V offers better picture resolution (Megapixels), built-in speaker, flash range, movie frame rate per second and fastest & slowest shutter speed. Read conclusion for more details however with the price difference and preferred features I would personally prefer Canon SX40 HS.
Similarities in Canon Powershot SX40 HS and Sony Cybershot DSC-HX200V
- Same sensor size 6.17 x 4.55 mm
- Same sensor type BSI-CMOS
- Built in image stabilization
- Almost same shooting speed at 10fps (frames per second)
- Exposure compensation is same @ ±2 EV
- Both supports Wi-Fi
- Lithium-Ion batteries
Difference / comparison between Canon SX40 HS and Sony Cybershot DSC-HX200V
|Features||Canon SX40 HS||Sony DSC-HX200V|
|Megapixels||12.1 Megapixels||18.2 Megapixels|
|Focal length||24 – 840 mm||27 – 810 mm|
|Aperture||F2.7 – F5.8||F2.8 – F5.6|
|Macro focus range||0 cm||1 cm|
|Movie Resolution||1920 x 1080 @ 24fps||1920 x 1080 @ 60fps|
|LCD Type||Fully articulated||Tilting|
|Shutter speed range||15 sec – 1/3200 sec||30 sec – 1/4000 sec|
|Size||123 x 92 x 108 mm||122 x 87 x 93 mm|
Detailed Comparison & Conclusion
- Canon SX40 is almost $50 cheaper than Sony HX200V but still offers some very great features including 35x zoom vs 30x of Sony and fully articulated LCD which you can rotate and flip according to your convenience.
- With Canon SX40 HS you can take excellent macro shots (1:1 image ratio). You can put your camera as close to your subject as possible and it will focus properly and get a clear shot. With Sony you can take macro shots from minimum 1cm distance.
- Canon offer better aperture range from F2.7 – F5.8 with which the you can take better pictures on an individual object as well as sharper pictures of landscapes etc.
- If you make more movies in camera than it offers high resolution movies which can be views in big screen televisions easily. Its wide angle is slightly wider so better to take landscapes and group photos, it can take closer macro photos.
- Things in which Sony Cybershot wins are the better resolution (18.2 Megapixels vs 12.1 for canon), faster movie making speed as it captures 60 frames in 1 minute as compared to 30 in Canon + you can playback the movie with sound whereas Canon camera doesn’t have any speaker so you have to connect it to the TV or computer to listen to the sound. It doesn’t matter much because
built-in camera sound is mostly too low however its still a feature.
- Sony Cybershot flash range is better means if you want to capture an object in dark, it throws flash in greater distance 12.4 meters as compare to the 7 meters in Canon however you can use external flash with Canon whereas Sony doesn’t support external flash. You can buy cheap external flash and use it to produce professional photography results specially when you bounce the light off ceiling. You can use Vivitar 285HV Pro Thrister Flash manually for greater results.
- With 18.2 Megapixels on Sony HX200V you can print your photos in larger size and can crop it in a better way however if you don’t print your pictures in very large sizes and not in habit of cropping then difference between these cameras doesn’t matter much.
- Both cameras offer similar weight and are of similar size.
Canon Powershot SX40 HS
Sony Cybershot DSC-HX200V