Blackberry Tour 9630 is the next generation of Blackberry 8830. It was accounted on July 2009. Main feature to notice is that I support CDMA / EVDO* and 3G. It has lots of great features but there are some complains as well. Let’s look into the main pros and cons for this phone.
Advantages / Positive features / Pros of Blackberry 8830:
- This phone has 480 x 360 pixels, 2.40 inches, 64K color screen along with Full QWERTY keyboard and Trackball navigation.
- Full QWERTY keyboard is easier to use.
- GPRS Class 10 (32 – 48 kbps), HSCSD, EDGE Class 10 (236.8 kbps), 3G, Bluetooth, microUSB.
- Camera with 3.15 MP, 2048×1536 pixels, autofocus, LED flash and Geo-tagging, Image Stabilizer.
- BlackBerry OS, 256 MB RAM / 256 MB ROM.
- GPS with A-GPS support and Blackberry maps.
- Standard 3.5mm audio jack.
- Document editor for Work, Excel, Powerpoint and PDF.
Disadvantages / Negative features / Cons of Blackberry 8830:
- Standby time is up to 335 hours and talk time up to 5 hours. (Not that impressive battery time but since it has 3G, so it’s good but it’s more like an OK feature, there are user complains about it.)
- No WiFi. It really doesn’t make any sense why Blackberry decided not to put WiFi in this device and too many complains about this lack.
- Lots of people have complained about the Trackball of this model. It gets stuck and stops working.
- Long restart time. Many people have complained about this as well.
Blackberry did try to make this phone up to the market standard but I’m afraid they will not be winning much hearts with such device. No WiFi, battery time, legendary Trackball but with problem and the main issue price. It’s not totally useless phone, it has great features but as per features to price ratio, Blackberry Tour 9630 is not a good option.
* EVDO is a standard for high speed wireless broadband, short for Evolution-Data Optimized or Evolution-Data only.