Canon SD970 is almost $80 expensive than the Canon SD1400 camera. Both cameras have similar features and both camera make movie clips at resolution of 1280 x 720. I would recommend buying Canon SD1400 as its cheaper, the thinnest camera to-date and offers many positive features mentioned below. Canon SD970 also offers some better features but for the price SD1400 is a better catch and a better camera.
Better features in Canon SD1400IS:
- 14.1MP vs 12.1 in SD907 IS digital camera
- Sensor size of both cameras are same but the pixel density is better in SD1400IS 50 MP/cm² in comparison with 43MP/cm²
- Better aperture range of F2.8 – F5.9 which gives you more freedom to take excellent portrait pictures to good outdoor captures (SD970IS aperture range is F3.2 – F5.7)
- Better flash range of 4m vs 3.5m in Canon SD970
- SD1400 is light weight and and small 133g vs 160g, the thinnest powershot camera model to-date.
Better features in Canon SD970IS:
- 5x optical zoom in comparison with 4x in SD1400 IS
- better shooting speed 1fps (frame per second) as compare to 0.7fps in Canon Sd1400IS
- 3″ LCD vs 2.7″ in SD1400